grub-devel

release planning

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: release planning
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:39:31 +0200

Hello,

If there is no objection, I'd like to release the first version of GRUB 2 for
developers at the beginning of August, whatever status it is in. At the
moment, I'm devoting myself into bugfixes and incorporation of workarounds
from GRUB Legacy. I'm also going to implement a simple installer for
GNU/Linux within this month.

After that, I'd like to keep releasing new versions constantly. Hopefully, one
per two or three months. The version numbers will be 1.9x, until we make GRUB
2 stable enough on PC.

Currently, I believe that PC support is the priority, because people just
stick to GRUB Legacy, and do not take part in GRUB 2. I won't push my opinion
to others, but I wish others attach importance to the PC support and/or the
generic part as well.

As I guess contributors in GRUB do not like to be specified what they should
do, I'm not going to specify milestones for release management.

Okuji