grub-devel

Re: Grub2 on Mac OS X

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Grub2 on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:45:04 +0100

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 02:20 pm, antoine terrienne wrote:
> memalign doesn't exist on Mac OS. malloc always returns 16 bytes
> aligned memory. This macro is only defined if there is no HAVE_MEMALIGN
> defined by the configure script. If 16 bytes alignment not enouth there
> is valloc that allocates on a page bondary but there is no such
> function as memalign.

Is it hard to implement memalign using valloc? I don't know how it works on
MacOSX.

> You mean include it in Grub ?

Sure.

> Where such code should be placed in the source three ? normal/ util/
> ... ?

Create a directory "lib" at the top source directory and link it if your
system library does not have it.

> getopt is already used by grub-mkimage and available everywere so why
> not just using it with grub-emu ? Are there somme specific reasons ?

Technically speaking, argp is superior. So, I prefer keeping it to throwing it
away.

> I have some others questions about the powerpc part of Grub2. It seems
> that many parts are just a copy of the i386. For exemple in the
> conf/powerpc-ieee1275.rmk. grub_emu_sources refer to
> commands/i386/pc/{reboot.c,halt.c,suspend.c}  but there exist somme
> commands/ieee1275/{reboot.c,halt.c,suspend.c}. Is this normal ?

Yes. There are good reasons. Take a look at the archive of this list.

Okuji