grub-devel

Re: Pre-alpha scripting engine

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Pre-alpha scripting engine
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:01:40 +0000

Serbinenko Vladimir <address@hidden> writes:

> Marco Gerards wrote:
>
>>Can you please explain how the parser itself works?  What kind of
>>parser is it, something about the scanner perhaps, etc?
> It's two times parser. First time it removes comments and creates
> function list.Then it launches "script_load" function. Real script
> execution is in script_execute.

[...]

Ok.  What I would like to see in GRUB is a simple top-down parser.
That makes it really easy for us to maintain it.  Here is some more
information about top-down parsers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-down_parsing

This wikipedia entry is a bit short, but there is a lot of information
you can find about this subject on google.

One other thing I noticed is that is is not GCS conforming.  GRUB is
GCS conforming and we want to keep it that way.  The GCS the document
that describes our coding style, the way we document changes, etc:

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/

But as I said before, the most important thing that needs to be done
is that Okuji agrees with the syntax.

>>How about grub.cfg?  It would be nice if it would be possible to embed
>>code there.
> You can just write in grub.cfg
> insmod script
> script <file>
> And there is no mess between  scripts and shell(however shell
> functions can be used by scripts...will in alpha)

Ok...

What I would like to see is that scripting would be possible in the
configuration file and that it easily integrates.

Thanks,
Marco