grub-devel

Re: device syntax

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: device syntax
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:54:35 -0500

On Oct 21, 2004, at 5:53 AM, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

IMO, we should not assume that the user knows technical details. If we
write an installer for Open Firmware-based machines, the user may not
know anything about Open Firmware.

Fair point.

I think the important goal for GRUB is to provide an easy way for
ordinary users and a complicated but still useful features for experts.
So I propose always using simple aliases for drives. If you want to use
a device name provided by your firmware explicitly, you could use this
kind of syntax:

devalias foo "/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden,0"
multiboot (foo,0)/boot/kernel

I suspect it will be a point of confusion that a user can directly use "hda" (a real/OF devalias) for their first disk, but if they want to use their second disk they must add a devalias command to their menu.lst file (or in OF itself).

Also, when booting without a menu.lst, now we need to enter two commands. Not difficult, just a little more awkward than it could be.

But on the whole this solution sounds pretty reasonable to me.

-Hollis