grub-devel

menu enchancement

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: menu enchancement
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:49:52 +0200

I've implemented some important features in the menu interface. That is,
timeout and booting. Please test it. It should be now possible to boot
an OS from the menu interface.

However, there are still several missing features which can be found in
GRUB Legacy:

- Editing a boot entry

- Password

- Multiple fallback entries

- Saving a boot entry

- Coloring (this is useless, IMHO)

But one good thing is that GRUB 2 supports nested menus, although this
is not usable until we implement the command "configfile".

I wish to see these features:

- Graphical interface

- Support for different geometries

- Message translation

Probably support for different geometries is difficult, because the
current code assumes that the screen is at least 80x25. If you want to
support smaller one, you need to adjust the messages as well as the
hardcoded coordinates.

Next, I will work on editing a boot entry and password support.

Okuji