grub-devel

Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands

From: M. Gerards
Subject: Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:55:46 +0200

Quoting "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden>:

> On Wednesday 02 June 2004 18:10, Marco Gerards wrote:
> > Okuji, you told me a while ago that you wanted to think about this.
> > What is your opinion?
>
> I'm not sure if I understand your quesion correctly. But if it is about
> sharing commands between rescue mode and normal mode, I don't want to
> share them at all. Because I want to make normal mode more fancy than
> now, and rescue mode cannot be fancy due to the size limitation (on
> i386-pc).

That is not really what I mean, but close.  What I was talking about is laoders.
The linux, chainloader, multiboot, etc. can be shared.  Both have different
access points I assume.

The problem is that when you load a loader should be able access it from both
normal mode and rescue mode.  An example is the chainloader and linux loader
compiled into rescue mode.  When you load normal.mod those loaders have to be
registered with normal mode.

The best solution, it seems, is creating a list of modules that need to be
registered with normal mode.  Or just a list of modules (all modules) that can
be scanned.  When normal mode is started the first thing it needs to do is scan
for active modules, like linux and chainloader.

--
Marco