grub-devel

Re: creating a new driver

From: Stefan Reinauer
Subject: Re: creating a new driver
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:01:30 +0200

* Yoshinori K. Okuji <address@hidden> [040423 13:42]:
> On Friday 23 April 2004 05:42, address@hidden wrote:
> > If I adapt a Linux driver for an ethernet card to Etherboot?s
> > specifications, how easy is it to make it work with GRUB?  I have 8
> > machines with ASUS a7n8x-e mainboards, and I?m willing to try the
> > challange...
>
> GRUB 2 does not have network support yet, so I'm sure that it would be
> hard work.

Has there been any discussion with the development folks of other bootloaders?
It'd sure enough make sense to coordinate such things with etherboot
and/or filo to prevent duplicate work being done.

I've been reusing the grub filesystem drivers in OpenBIOS and I was
really happy that it was so easy to get a vfs together to include those
without changes.

I've started cleaning them up to be both 64bit and big-endian clean, but
there's some places left that need further fixing. If grub2 aims at
being more than an x86-only project, it would make sense to include
these fixes in grub2 as well. Also the grub filesystem driver interface
could use some cleanup to make it even simpler. Really rewriting things
from scratch would be overkill though..

   Regards,
     Stefan