grt-talk

[grt-talk] quite

From: Silvester Smart
Subject: [grt-talk] quite
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 02:59:29 +0200

On thatbasis, staple groceries average only a trifle higher than they do inAmerica. But he was merely asomewhat wealthier and more prominent specimen of a generalized type.
We can best visualize him as like the old English yeoman.
The fresh yolks beamed at me from theblue-bordered plate.
Each family lives on its own holding, entirely separate fromits neighbors.
Luck is with her whenshe notes a good line of meats on display, for meat distribution isuncertain.
He is wellqualified for his job, since he is an expert on agriculture andstock-breeding. The brick floor was partly covered by a pile of hay from theloft above and heaps of green fodder. An all-seeing paternal state attends to even this pettysalvage.
Yet even here I found no filth or squalor.
But it will probably lack American specialties like an electric iceror a washing-machine.
Neither, apparently, do Germans except for cooking or sparinglyin their imitation coffee or tea. Yet even here I found no filth or squalor. The region is predominantly inhabited by a landowningpeasantry. In the oldtenant farmsteads conditions are decidedly primitive.
It also did notgive a sufficiently clear picture of popular needs.
By this time Miladys purchases have been duly assembled on thecounter. There are different cards for men, women, boys,and girls. The Market Control Statute links all this with the consumer. Bythe time we had reached our first scheduled stop, I was somewhatchilled.
We have already noted how short Germany is in butter, lard, andkindred products.
She is anxious to see how the washing isprogressing and how her younger children are getting on.
She wentpromptly to an official employment agency to see what could be done.
Those are the precious hours shetakes for marketing and other necessary shopping.
We can now understand what a prolonged huddle Milady goes into withthe saleswoman.
But, as Kiplingwould say, that is another story.
The instant war broke out, the Governmentfroze domestic service. In the course of our chat Iremarked how much I missed coffee.
It certainlyappalled many Germans with whom I discussed the matter.
Nearly all Germans have come to feel that they are in fora life-and-death struggle.
In that way I gotintelligent comparisons between German and American standards.
On our way, we nearly ran over a drunk who had chosen thespace between the rails for his couch. But before relating details, let me sketch in the background.
InNorthwest Germany, landless, floating farm labor is little inevidence.
As might be expected, their hospitality was as ample as it wasunaffected.
For the American visitor, the general aspect of this region has afamiliar look. Men are even more drastically rationed than their womenfolk. We can now understand what a prolonged huddle Milady goes into withthe saleswoman. I saw some harrowing sights during my stay in theReich. They cannot be transferred,and coupons detached from the card have no value.