groff master branch open for general mayhem

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: groff master branch open for general mayhem
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 00:52:05 -0500

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the groff 1.23.0 release; the list
of the many people who did (and chose not to remain anonymous) appears
in Bertrand's release announcement.[1]

I'd like to hereby open the master branch to the full range of
development activities for the first time in 5 months or so.  Commit
should still keep the test suite passing (except when making a commit
that introduces a new regression test, to validate that test) as before.
And it might still be a good idea to develop more complex features on a
branch.  I have some stuff I'm working on that way.

I've accumulated over a dozen bug fixes in my private branch, and also
some minor new feature changes.  Here are the latter.  I'll the
committing them shortly.

Please report any objections to the below.  Most or all have already
been discussed[2] on this list in the past 3 months or so; consider
checking the archives.

VERSION next
============

troff
-----
o In nroff mode (in other words, when producing output for terminal
  devices), the formatter now reports warning diagnostics regarding
  certain output problems using units of lines instead of inches (or the
  unit configured with the `warnscale` request) to describe the vertical
  drawing position where the problem occurred.

eqn
---

o The "gifont" primitive replaces "gfont" as the means of configuring
  the global italic face within an equation.  "gfont" remains recognized
  as a synonym for backward compatibility.  The new name is intended to
  ease acquisition of the eqn language in light of GNU eqn's
  thirty-year-old extensions "gbfont" and "grfont".

o New parameters tunable with the GNU eqn "set" primitive, "half_space"
  and "full_space", enable a document to configure the space widths
  produced by the eqn tokens '^' and '~', respectively.  Previously,
  their widths were determined by the "thin_space" and "thick_space"
  parameters used to tune GNU eqn's automatic spacing computations.

Macro packages
--------------

o The an (man) and doc (mdoc) macro packages now support a `PO` register
  to configure the page offset used by the formatter.

o The m (mm) macro package's `HU` macro now supports a second argument
  as a GNU extension.  It corresponds to the optional third argument of
  the `H` macro.

o The m (mm) macro package's `IND` macro (a GNU extension), now calls
  `SK` only if no `TXIND` macro is defined, instead of performing this
  action as part of the fallback when no `TYIND` macro is defined.

o The s (ms) macro package now sets the vertical spacing register
  defaults for normal (`VS`) and footnote (`FVS`) text to 120% of the
  existing type size rather than 2 points larger to comport with
  generally accepted typesetting principles.  Thus, when formatting a
  document with a type size of 20 points, the vertical spacing now
  defaults to 24 points rather than 22.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2023-07/msg00001.html
[2] or raised by me with no response