Re: Groff's -mm Indexing

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: Groff's -mm Indexing
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 21:39:16 +1000 (AEST)

Hi Branden

On Sat, 1 Jul 2023, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

The new system won't really work because it uses \n[%] which is not
what I want to get as a page number. I want \nP because I reset it to
zero after the abstract.

Isn't this the "heading mark"-based indexing that groff mm already
supports?  You get at this by calling `INITI` with `H` as its first
argument.

No.

        INITI N

uses \n[%]. But it is not the same as \nP or \n[P] which I have messed with (and which is what I want).

Maybe not, though.  Looking at it, it's a bit clumsy--it really does use
the "heading mark", e.g. "1.", "2.", "2.1.", "3.5.9", etc.  Complete
with the two fixed-width spaces that separate this mark from a run-in
heading.

Further, there already exists a string without those trailing spaces,
`hd@mark-trimmed`, which is what it seems `IND` should be using, but it
doesn't.

I do not want the heading mark.

Did I mention that there are a lot of loose ends in groff mm?

Yes. I know. But it is still pretty good.

Yup, I took that out for groff 1.23.0 too.

Got it. One of these days if I ever get to shout that coffee I promised you when you were in Oz, I will tell you what I really wanted to write!

Thanks for giving groff mm attention.  It has evidently been missing
user feedback for quite a while.

It is an old habit which I have kept.

Thanks - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International ..... 20D Grose St, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer