Re: Missing blank before SH due to PD 0 IP PD

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Missing blank before SH due to PD 0 IP PD
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 15:58:32 -0500

Hi Alex,

At 2023-05-22T18:40:28+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> I had a typo in a man(7) page where for some reason I slipped an .IP
> in the wrong place.  I had no warnings about that IP.  Neither
> groff(1) nor mandoc(1) complained about it.  And BTW, mandoc(1)'s
> behavior seems the right one to me.

Long story short: I agree; please file a Savannah ticket.

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=groff&func=additem

Longer story: the issue is input of this form.

> .PD 0
> .IP \[bu] 3
> fgh.
> .IP
> .PD
> .SH jkl
> zxc.

I would not expect any man(7) formatter to warn about this.  The empty
paragraph body is not inherently erroneous.  Consider a situation where
we're setting tagged paragraphs for the sake of their tags alone.

---begin snip---
.SH Monsters
In this game reminiscent of
.MR rogue 6 ,
you can expect to encounter the following opponents in increasing order
of menace.
.
.PD 0 \" possible future: `.LS`
.IP B
.IP T
.IP D
.PD   \" possible future: `.LE`
.SH Treasure
---end snip---

While I have proposed that `TP` be used for tags of indexable or
semantic import, and `IP` for other sorts like bullets and list
enumerators, whether it would be better to use `TP` for this application
has no bearing here in my view.

I'll have a look at fixing this for groff-next--maybe in 1.23.1 point
release if the solution turns out to be low impact.