Re: Warn on mid-input line sentence endings

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Warn on mid-input line sentence endings
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 06:57:46 -0500

Hi Alex,

At 2023-05-01T00:15:55+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> You could try it (but C++ will only work as long as it resembles C;
> and you need to specify the file suffix).

I prefer C to C++ when I have a choice.  groff doesn't give me one.  ;-)

But I'm also accustomed to ctags(1) and cscope(1).  I'm not exactly in
love with cscope's interface, though.

> Bjarni didn't propose adding such a thing to groff.

Oh, I know--he strongly declared that it _shouldn't_ be added, and that
grep was adequate to tackle the problem.  Hence my five-point rebuttal
as to why it was not.

> He was rather suggesting me to call such a script from my Makefile
> where I want the diagnostics.

If that works adequately for you, great!  For well-behaved man
documents, I can't think of a case where any of my five caveats would
apply.

But I interpreted his words as an objection to the proposed enterprise
of Savannah #62776.[1]

Maybe I misunderstood, and _I'm_ the Loki in this discussion... :-O

> I think that would be fair (assuming I can get a readable thing out of
> that script); especially, since I already have other scripts for
> similar purposes (like the one suggested by Ralph, for the 80-column
> margin, which I find very useful).

I'm a big fan of defense in depth.  Give my programming language a
strong type checker _and_ my machine a tagged memory architecture!  :D

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?62776