Re: [groff] [patch] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: Re: [groff] [patch] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 13:02:47 -0500

If I were conscientious in writing about m4, I might choose
to use \(oq and \(cq to assure pretty typesetting. It
would be a disaster to have both come out as apostrophes
in -T ascii. Knowing that, I could use \(aa and \(ga instead.

Still, this is a cautionary tale. What other sorts of
documents would suffer badly under this change?