Re: [groff] UTF8 characters to pdf

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] UTF8 characters to pdf
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 02:10:32 +1100

> Is there a Homebrew version of man that knows to do this?
> Should there be?

No and yes, in that order. :-\ There's probably a very binding reason for
that; most likely a conflict with the system's default software. Homebrew
are careful not to link formulae which cause "issues" with other programs
or build-chains. Their readline formula
<https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/5e1a03c66e002be70c289804d5c6694307c6651b/Formula/readline.rb#L16-L20>
is one such example; to quote its post-install message:

readline is keg-only, which means it was not symlinked into /usr/local,
because macOS provides the BSD libedit library, which shadows libreadline.
In order to prevent conflicts when programs look for libreadline we are
defaulting this GNU Readline installation to keg-only.

For compilers to find readline you may need to set:
  export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/opt/readline/lib"
  export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/opt/readline/include"

For pkg-config to find readline you may need to set:
  export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/opt/readline/lib/pkgconfig"

This (or a similar reason) is likely the reason why man(1) has no formulae
in Homebrew...

There was an attempt to get man-db
<https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/25376> accepted in
Homebrew, but a patch was needed for macOS support, which Homebrew required
upstream to accept before they'd support it. The link I just gave points
you to the gnarly discussion about Homebrew's policy towards hot-patching,
but the long-and-short of it is that it wasn't successful.

Installing mandoc(1) will include its version of man(1), but it's installed
as `bsdman`, again, most likely to avoid conflicts.

I hate macOS. "BSD-like system", my arse.