Re: [groff] Maintainer out of bounds

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] Maintainer out of bounds
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 15:41:30 +0100

Hi Werner,

> Ingo, please mark such reports as `wontfix' in the future if you think
> that nothing should be done.

I think Ingo is wrong.  Like you, I think that all of groff's warnings
for source groff ships should be fixed as otherwise they're noise that
cheapens all warnings and means new ones, either due to an improvement
or regression, might be missed.  But is Ingo the only `gardener' of
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=groff ?  If not, I think Ingo should
ignore these kind that he doesn't agree with and allow someone else to
tend to them.  They're not wishlist, nor are they wontfix.

> He gave an explanation in https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54475:
>
>   As a rule, reporting a compiler warning in the bugtracker is
>   detrimental unless there is reason to believe that there is an
>   actual bug.

Running Arch Linux, I often have a gcc or clang that's later than all
the main developers of a project.  Thus I'm the first to raise a bug
with new compilation warnings and I can't recall an occasion when it
wasn't happily received.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy