Re: [groff] A macro package for lists in TROFF

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [groff] A macro package for lists in TROFF
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 23:17:03 +0100

Stephanie Björk <address@hidden> wrote:
 |So, after having been on the mailing list for a bit, I've found that we are
 |all sharing quite cool things here.  Just a day ago, I wrote something

I do not.  My macros are a bad hack.

 |quite nice in Troff -- a macro package that provides for something that
 |most macro packages I have so far known lack.  I figured also that this is
 |the best place to share any ``movements'' in /[GTN]roff/ as the community
 |is small.
 |
 |So, I made an okay-functioning macro package to typeset lists (currently,
 |only bulleted lists are possible) that can be nested.  Each nesting can
 |have a custom indentation.  When a nesting is complete, the macro remembers
 |how much that custom indentation is and exdents it by the exact same
 |amount.  You can have as many nested orders as desired.

See.  I have a fixed limit of five levels.  (To have named strings
which format the numbers / represent the bullets.)

 |Each bullet can also have some custom bullet characters and all the other
 |fancy things only obvious in the source code.
 |
 |The project is here: https://github.com/katt64/troff-lists (bul.tmac is the
 |beating heart of it all)
 |It currently cannot do numbered lists because those are complicated and I
 |will do them later when I have time.

I was indeed impressed by the stack macro -- it is
pretty cool as it de-facto creates a type, so to say!
This is an idea that not yet crossed my mind.  I would surely have
implemented it right away to also support strings, so that it
becomes real work later if anything needs to be adjusted, though.

 |Yes, I admit that it does exploit Groff and Troff to the point I could be
 |arrested for software abuse.  But, yes, it's quite a concept.

That is ... gigantic.  I wonder where my Pixies records are,
..this monkeys gone to heaven.

 |Rgds,

Yes, there has got to be time for that.

 |Stephanie