Re: [groff] [Groff] Unintended impact of strip.sed on om.tmac-u?

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: Re: [groff] [Groff] Unintended impact of strip.sed on om.tmac-u?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 09:49:38 -0500

It has been said that stripping tmac files improves their
perfomance. I tried it on s.tmac. It cuts the file by 48%.
But on a real-life groff file of considerable complexity
it saved less than 1% of cpu time.

This example suggests that stripping may be a frill that
makes groff maintenance more complicated to little advantage.
Does it make more difference in other macro packages?
If so, a comparison of commenting styles might reveal
style recommendations that would overcome the need for
stripping.

In short, I wonder whether stripping is an instance of
gnu bloat, a disease that groff has generally aavoided.

Doug