[Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian

From: Piotr Piatrou
Subject: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 20:32:34 +0300

Hello, all

I am trying to use the "unicode" front families for typesetting a PDF
document in Russian but get a compilation error like:

Invalid negative number (-1) in chr at /usr/bin/gropdf line 3201, <>
line 325.

Interestingly, the one-line text compiles all right an the error
happens, most likely, at the attempt to make line transition.
Another strange thing is that, in case of using mixed Russian/Latin
symbols in pic and tbl objects, the Latin letters and numbers
become mis-positioned.

I wonder what I am possibly do wrong. The GROFF version is 1.22.2
on Ubuntu 14.04. The compilation command used is:

groff -Kutf8 -pet -Tpdf RuRest.rof > RuTest.pdf

A maximally simplified file demonstrating the error is attached.

I would be grateful for any hint. Sincerely,
Piotr Piatrou