Re: [Groff] pdfmom warning: can't find special character `u0065_0304'

From: Dominic Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] pdfmom warning: can't find special character `u0065_0304'
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 19:46:35 -0600

Good evening,

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 15:14:05 +0200
Bertrand Garrigues <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I had tried using the U-P font, but I set it at the command line via
> > ''-f''.  I presume the fact that the document had ''.FAMILY P'' in it
> > then proceeded to override the command line setting...
>
> ghostscript 9.21 caused lots of troubles to groff/gropdf (see bugs
> #50786 #50989).  I'm a bit surprised that you can use Palatino fonts
> with -Tpdf, currently (with up to date groff from git and ghostscript
> 9.21) it is broken, unless you apply patch 'file #41568:
> bug-50989-v2.patch' from bug #50989.

I'm using pdfmom, but don't know if that makes a difference in how things work.
 My builds of groff and ghostscript are pretty much vanilla.  I turned off the
extra documentation for groff, but that's about it.

> On which system are you running groff? And which version of groff are
> you using (1.22.3 from your distribution or did you rebuild it from
> sources?)?

The system is custom built, best described as a cross between Linux from
Scratch and CRUX.  I built groff (version 1.22.3) from source.

> Presumably on your system you still have URW fonts available in .pfb
> format (on my system they are now installed as .otf fonts).

I'm not sure of the format -- the font files don't appear to have a
distinguishing suffix.

--
Dominic Jones <address@hidden>