Re: [Groff] mom : unicode in .INCLUDE'd files

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] mom : unicode in .INCLUDE'd files
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 18:19:29 +0100

On 22/07/17 15:06, John Gardner wrote:
> I was bitten by preconv(1) quite recently, actually. Gonna back Ingo
> here. Can I semi-seriously implore the world to only use UTF-8, and
> pretend other encodings don't exist?

Not really going to happen, for as long as MS-Windows remains the
dominant OS for personal computer platforms.  Much as we might like
to see this ghastly OS join other dinosaurs, in extinction, it seems
unlikely that this will happen any time soon.

All MS-Windows internal text APIs are UTF-16LE, (which seems to be
about the limit of Microsoft's comprehension of Unicode); the OS is
aggressively hostile to UTF-8, (as it is to any encoding which may
use more than two bytes to represent a single character/code-point).

Keith.