[Groff] mom : unicode in .INCLUDE'd files

From: E. Hoffmann
Subject: [Groff] mom : unicode in .INCLUDE'd files
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 21:53:01 +0200

Hello.

I'm going my first steps with mom.

There is a problem that I can't solve using the documentation, which
   very well may be just silly because I don't get it (which happened
   before ;)

When I enter unicode, like:

                         ÄÖÜ SS ÒÓÔÕŎŌ Ç äöü ß òóôõŏō ç

...and process them with pdfmom, they show up perfectly.

But if I include the same characters in a file with the .INCLUDE macro,
they disappear.  Processed with -P-bcu -Tutf8, they show up
like wrong encoded strings.

Here is a minimal source code example.mom file:

---------------------------------------------\

.TITLE   "unicode example"
.AUTHOR  "me"
.CHAPTER  1
.DOCTYPE    DEFAULT
.PRINTSTYLE TYPESET
.START
.PP
UNICODE: ÄÖÜ SS ÒÓÔÕŎŌ Ç äöü ß òóôõŏō ç
.PP
.PP
INCLUDED FILE BEGINS:
.PP
.INCLUDE file_with_identical_unicode_strings.mom
.EL

---------------------------------------------/

Command line:

               groff -mom -Tutf8 -P-bcu example.mom > example.txt

Output:

---------------------------------------------\

                                   unicode example
                                         by
                                         me

          UNICODE: ÄÖÜ SS ÒÓÔÕŎŌ Ç äöü ß òóôõŏō ç

            INCLUDED FILE BEGINS:

            UNICODE: ÃÃà SS ÃÃÃÃÅŠà äöü à òóôõÅŠç

---------------------------------------------/

As I said, processing to pdf with

    pdfmom -c example.mom > example.pdf

is similiar, only that the not recognized chars in the includefile just don't
show up.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

Erich

PS

I tried, in vain, the following pipe:

 soelim example.mom | preconv -eutf8 | groff -mom -Tutf8 -P-bcu  > example.txt