Re: [Groff] ASCII Minus Sign in man Pages.

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Groff] ASCII Minus Sign in man Pages.
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 07:26:32 -0400

At 2017-04-25T12:47:25+0200, Carsten Kunze wrote:
> > Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden> hat am 24. April 2017 um 16:39 geschrieben:
> >
> > Assuming this is considered the right direction, how would one
> > best implement, in doc.tmac-u and an-old.tmac, - == \- == U+002D
> > for all devices?
>
> Isn't it already done for UTF-8 in the files you mentioned?
> Both contain:
>
> .if '\*[.T]'utf8' \{\
> .  rchar \- - ' `
> .
> .  char \- \N'45'
> .  char  - \N'45'
> .  char  ' \N'39'
> .  char  ` \N'96'
> .\}
>
> Tests did show that groff's HTML output of manpages does not look good
> and has bugs (results in wrong formatting). Well HTML formatted
> manpages are often processed by other tools (non-roff tools which just
> know the -man and -mdoc language). So changing groff's HTML should not
> be necessary--or there would be much more work to do beyond '-' and
> '\-'.

"hm" appears to be available in the namespace for short character
escapes.  Would "\(hm)" be a good way to offer people U+002D for when
they're absolutely sure they mean it?

In any event, grohtml seems to be mapping all of -, \-, and \(hy to
U+002D (see attachments), which doesn't seem ideal to me given the
capabilities and character repetoire of most HTML renderers.