Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:04:37 -0500

John¹ wrote:

> Many years ago, when type used to be set by hand, I was one of those who
> did the typesetting. I am now looking at the methodology of using either
> Groff or LaTex to produce print ready text. Can anyone briefly tell me if
> Groff does the same job as LaTex?
>
> Obviously there will be a bias in asking this group but does one have an
> advantage over the other?

Each have their advantages. Both do a better job of typesetting than word
processors or page layout programs, although I understand InDesign is pretty
close. Groff cedes some typesetting precision to TeX in favor of raw speed, but
these days computers are wicked-fast and most people think typesetting is done
with MS Word, so that's a wash.

I prefer groff over TeX partly because I'd rather spend more time typing text
than markup. But what really kills *TeX for me is that it starts from its own
assumptions of what my page layout is supposed to look like, and that would be
fine if I were writing academic papers instead of technical documentation. It's
just too much of a hassle trying to force *TeX to do it my way, when I already
know groff and it's willing to accommodate me.

-- Larry