Re: [Groff] multiline footer?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] multiline footer?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 23:17:37 -0400

Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

currently I try to get a multiline footer at the page bottom (in my
case only on page one but it could be a running footer, too). I'm using
the `ms' macros. I tried to modify the BT macro as such:

.de BT
.if \\n%=1 \{\
.  sp -2v
.  so footer.tbl
.  bp
\}
.ie o .tl \\*[pg*OF]
.el   .tl \\*[pg*EF]
..

the real problem is my attempt to first backspace two lines so that the
(in my case: four line) table fits in the FM space. without the `.sp'
the thing works in principle (but cuts off half my table). simply
increasing FM is not the solution for my multipage document I think.

On the contrary, I think increasing FM is exactly what you need to do. If you need to change it later, just make the change before the page break. You can give it a try and see if it works anyway; what could it hurt? Put in in the command line (maybe groff -ms -rFM=9v) and you won't even have to change your document.

-- Larry