Re: [Groff] font checking

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] font checking
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:42:38 +0200 (CEST)

> How can I check how the characters Postscript font files define look
> like?  I'd like to use some font other than the defaults.  For that
> matter how can I check out what characters groff's font files define
> and how they look like?

The easiest method is to use groff's -f flag to change the default
font family -- this silently assumes that you don't change the font
family arbitrarily within your document.  For example, try the
following to use `AvantGarde' (which has name `A' in groff) to format
a man page:

  groff -fA -man foo.1 > foo.ps

The grops man page (if printed as a PS file) shows all fonts and font
families which are available by default:

  groff -man grops.1 > grops.ps