Re: [Groff] Typesetting with groff from Makefiles

From: Jörgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting with groff from Makefiles
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:40:18 +0200

On Mon Jun 20 06:44:13 2005, address@hidden wrote:
> > Sometimes I wish for an '-o file' option to groff and friends, with
>
> Be careful about that, using it means that anywhere you don't have that
> version of groff installed your makefile will break.

I know, I know -- thus the 'sometimes'.

I'll simply use a modified version of Keith's suggestion:

foo.ps: foo.ms
        groff --some-options foo.ms >$@ \
        || ($(RM) $@; false)

That seems to be a reasonable idiom (although it adds a shell invocation or
two -- it there a sane, portable  way of eliminating the parenthesis?)

/Jörgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "Koka lopplummer, bada Ross, loppor borta."
\X/ <address@hidden>                                   -- Jonas