Re: [Groff] status of pdfmark macros

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] status of pdfmark macros
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:04:02 +0100 (CET)

> I do agree that the conversion of my existing makefile to a shell
> script would be a more elegant, and portable, ultimate goal.  Maybe
> it would be worthwhile to provide a hybrid interim solution, while
> the final script is worked up -- what do you think?

As an immediate solution: Just mention in the README file that the
user has to install GNU make (in addition to the other utilities like
sed) and should copy the Makefile to the directory where the input
files reside.

> One option I did consider, and haven't dismissed entirely, is to add
> a '-Tpdf' device selector to 'groff' itself, [...]

Someone mentioned on the list a few months ago that he is planning to
write a PDF driver directly.  I don't know whether there has been any
progress meanwhile.  Perhaps you could work together?

> Given that I do have quite heavy constraints on my time, at the
> moment, how would you like me to prioritise my efforts?

Integration into the groff build system.  This is, `./configure; make;
make install' at top-level should install a (yet-to-be-written)
`pdfmark' script, the macro packages, and the pdfmark.pdf
documentation file together with a small groff_pdfmark man page (and
proper references in other man pages of the groff bundle).