Re: [Groff] Escaping punctuation marks in troff

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Escaping punctuation marks in troff
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:33:00 -0500

On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 02:14 PM, Divya Dhakar wrote:

1. I am not a member of the list. Please let me know how to become a member
of the list.

2. secondly, I want to parse a 'html' file and convert it to troff format.
so, i cannot change the characters.

Surely it could be filtered through sed on the way to troff...?

    so, the line that i parse is "She said "Hello World!" to me. "
This is suppose the heading of the paragraph so it is preceeded by .ip

Wouldn't you be better using .uh (unnumbered heading)?  Like this:

.uh "She said ""Hello World"" to me."
.lp
This is the text of the paragraph.

I'm pretty sure this is what you're after, rather than an indented paragraph; the argument to .ip is supposed to be small (a bullet, number, single word etc.).

I followed your advice to doubleline the quote but I get the following
output:

- Testfile :
.ip "She said ""Hello world!:"" to me. "

- command used:
nroff -me testfilename | more

- output i get:

     Hello World !"  to me " .       ti -120u Hello World !"
     to me ">=120 she said  "Hello World !"  to me

Notes:

So, the line does print but i have a lot of garbage value in there. Did u get the same output when u tried to run it or am I doing soemthing wrong!!!

No, I don't get this at all. This is very odd: troff requests are being passed through to the output uninterpreted. I do recall that a similar bug existed, for a very short time, in an earlier version of groff. Which version are you using? BTW, what happens if you ask for postscript output (groff -me filename > filename.ps)?

Robert.