Re: [Groff] man problem under non-latin1 locale

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] man problem under non-latin1 locale
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:51:51 +0100 (CET)

> Fact is, when I enter my source text in ASCII, the groff latin-1
> device will keep the ASCII hyphen/minus/dash character (2D) in a
> word such as "small-scale fluctuations" (where it is clearly
> intended as a hyphen) intact in output.

The English rules where to use a hyphen dash in compound words and
where to use a longer dash are quite tricky.  groff is doing the right
thing in not changing the user input.  And how shall groff reliably
recognize a minus dash if not specified explicitly?

To change groff's behaviour, you can either say `small\[shc]scale
fluctuations', or you can insert `.tr -\[shc]' at the beginning of
your document, or you can say `.shc' to reset the soft hyphen
character to \[hy].

> On the other hand, when auto-hyphenating, it will insert
> character AD, which comes out as a different glyph.  This is
> what I'm saying is bad.

To get a typographically correct document needs a lot of discipline...