Re: [Groff] Can't find the old -mpm macros set

From: ralph
Subject: Re: [Groff] Can't find the old -mpm macros set
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:11:21 +0000

Hi,

Thomas wrote:
> I checked in the Plan9 distribution; I also had a quick look at
> ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixArchive (in the distribution directory for
> 4BSD) and I didn't find either the tmac.pm file. Any idea ?

Did you find my comp.os.plan9 post on Google Groups that I suggested?

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=a3ue0a%24hqk%241%40inputplus.demon.co.uk

-mpm was in 10th Edition which wasn't released from Bell Labs, hence
not in 4BSD.  It was moved across to Plan 9 and was still there in 2nd
Edition but, with the post-processor being written in C++, it was
dropped from 3rd Edition as they can no longer compile it.

Jon wrote:
> Rob Pike posted the mpm macros and the C++ code for the backend
> processor to the 9 fans list.  I thought that was in response to a
> post from you.

No, from me probably.

> If you can't find Rob's post in the 9fans archive, let me know and
> I'll forward a copy to you.

Unfortunately, I read comp.os.plan9 and it looks like the mail-to-news
gateway stripped off Rob's attachment but didn't adjust the Lines
header.  This lead to a three line post claiming to be 3800-odd lines
so my ISP's news server correctly drops it assuming it is corrupt.
I'll let comp.os.plan9 know.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=0ce9a17866461d0a3e0a61628c4149a9%40plan9.bell-labs.com&output=gplain

Furthermore, I can't access the mailing list archives at
https://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9fans because Netscape complains
that `Netscape and this server cannot communicate securely because they
have no common encryption algorithm(s)'  :-(

Ralph.