Re: [Groff] Suppress output (+ -me questions)

From: Christian Jensen
Subject: Re: [Groff] Suppress output (+ -me questions)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:15:44 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Sigfrid Lundberg, NetLab wrote:

> What about the .ig request

Well, .ig turns off _input_. I need to turn off output.

> > > For example I would like to be able to print only an index (table of
> > > contents) for later inclusion (automatically) into the main document.
>
> I would use .am (append macro) to add an indexing facility to those macros
> that are involved in your chapter and section headings. That facility
> could be used to output page number and whatever you want to have in your
> TOC. A simple Perl/whatever-script could help to get the TOC your way.
>
> Then put a '.so your_toc.me' wherever you want it to appear.

I was hoping to be able to use the existing index macros .(x - .)x which
already do most of what I want.

> You have almost certainly other related issues. I.e., you may want your
> refence list _before_ your appendices, but you may want the references
> ocurring in the them in the reference list.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that, but you are right. I will look into the m4
macro-processor and see if I can get it to do what I want/need.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Christian