Re: [Groff] [off] micro-typography

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] [off] micro-typography
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 18:23:51 -0000 (GMT)

On 05-Feb-02 Thomas Baruchel wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 10:38:56AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
>> Does anyone know what the -mpm macro set gives?  The most I've been
>> able to find is
>>
>>     "The -mpm Macro Package" B. W. Kernighan and C. J. Van Wyk.
>>     Describes the -mpm macros, a version of -ms that does automatic
>>     page balancing.
>
> Fine!!! where can I find it ? (the macro package)

This may have been part of DWB after 1991; and there
are indications that it was ported to Plan9, though
I can't track it down. Menawhile, the following
extract from an old GNU newsletter (1991) may be of
interest:

  http://www.gnu.org/bulletins/bull11.html

groff
=====
James Clark has written groff---GNU troff and related programs.
Possible new projects include: the grap preprocessor
(borrowing code from pic); the pm page-makeup postprocessor
and associated -mpm macro package.
More work is needed on the documentation, which now assumes
that the user already has the Unix versions of the
documentation. [1991]

One thing which is indicated in the above is that there
was a special post-processor for use with -mpm.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 05-Feb-02                                       Time: 18:23:51