Re: [Groff] inconsistency between .R and \*R in man.tmac

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] inconsistency between .R and \*R in man.tmac
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:03:04 +0100

>        .fp n f1 f2
                        [snip]

> Is it possible that he means something different?

To me, that sounds like the same behavior as described
in the User's Guide (revised 1992).  I don't know enough
of the history of either (AT&T) troff or groff to tell
why this should be listed in the "differences".
It is interesting to note, however, that Kernighan's
paper "A Typesetter-independent Troff" (revised 1982)
also mentions a third argument to "fp", which was to
be taken as the name of a directory from which to read
the font-description files.  While this is not the same
as making the second argument an alias for the third,
it can "feel" similar if you give the directory the long
name of the font (e.g., New-Century-Schoolbook) and give
the font-description files in that directory the "usual"
short names "R", "I", "B", etc.