Re: [Groff] checkeq functionality available?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] checkeq functionality available?
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 22:44:00 +0000

Hi,

> I use groff on Solaris whiich comes with checkeq.

I did find a little more about checkeq in _Typesetting Mathematics --
User's Guide (Second Edition)_ by Kernighan and Cherry.

    If you want to check a document before actually printing it (on
    UNIX only),

        eqn files >/dev/null

    will throw away the output but print the messages.

    If you use something like dollar signs as delimeters, it is easy to
    leave one out.  This causes very strange troubles.  The program
    checkeq (on GCOS, use ./checkeq instead) checks for misplaced or
    missing dollar signs and similiar troubles.

So they knew of checkeq and used it in addition to plain eqn on files.

Personally, I'd have guessed checkeq would be redundant given
sufficiently good error messages from eqn.

Cheers,

Ralph.