Re: [Groff] scaling in pic

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] scaling in pic
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 22:18:04 +0100

Hi Peter,

> I made some examples to show the problem. The page is as big as DIN
> A4 paper. Both examples show five linked boxes, the second one has
> almost the half of the width, but the only effect is, that the heigth
> grows.

Could it be that both are being `squashed to fit'.  Both are the same
height when un-squashed but one is, as you say, double the width.
Given both need to be squashed to fit the narrower one will need to be
squashed less and if the same scaling factor is being applied to both
the width and height of a picture then the height of the narrower one
will also be squashed less so it will come out taller than the other.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.  If not, try this.

    XXXXXXXXXXXX     Original 12x4
    XXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXX

    XXXXXX           Original 6x4
    XXXXXX
    XXXXXX
    XXXXXX

To fit into width of 3 scale wider by 0.25 and narrower by 0.5 giving

    XXX     Now 3x1

    XXX     Now 3x2
    XXX

Both started four tall but now one is double the height of the other.

Ralph.