grep-devel

Re: [Grep-devel] Proposed patch: remove DFA_CASE_FOLD

From: arnold
Subject: Re: [Grep-devel] Proposed patch: remove DFA_CASE_FOLD
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 00:49:18 -0700

Hi Jim.

> This change would enable a small simplification in each definition of
> "dfaopts." However, it does that at the cost of changing the public
> API of the dfa module and making it dependent on the regex one. I.e.,
> it would change the value of DFA_EOL_NUL (I would object even if this
> value were left unchanged)

So insert a DFA_UNUSED_1 value there. OK with me.

> and makes dfa's API depend on the RE_ICASE
> value provided by regex headers.

It does anyway, since you pass in the syntax bits.

> I doubt there is any guarantee that
> its value does not collide with DFA_EOL_NUL.

This isn't a problem. The bits are used in two different, disjoint
sets, so I don't understand why this is an issue.

> Sure, for your use of dfa
> in gawk, I presume there is no such risk (recalling that gawk always
> uses the included regex code),

I personally think grep would be better off if it too always used
the included regex code.  But you obviously disagree.

> but I would like dfa to continue to
> work independently of any package-provided regex code.

I don't see how my change prevents that (modulo the enum value thing
mentioned above).

Thanks anyway,

Arnold