graveman-general

Re: [Graveman-general] Does graveman 0.3.12-4 support USB CD/DVD burners

From: Tom Williams
Subject: Re: [Graveman-general] Does graveman 0.3.12-4 support USB CD/DVD burners?
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:34:21 -0700

Tom Williams wrote:

I've got a NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A USB burner that also burns CD-R and CD-RW. graveman seems to detect the drive ok but when I try to burn a CD-R or CD-RW, it complains that there is no media in the drive.

I can burn CD-Rs on the drive using Simple CDR-X which uses cdrecord to do the work so I know the drive works and is supported by my Linux system. I'm on a Slackware 8 based system with a 2.6.12.2 kernel, glib-2.6.5, gtk+-2.6.8, gcc-4.0.1, and cdrecord 2.01 (and other updates) installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

Well, some things have changed since I posted this message. I was mistaken above, Simple CDR-X is also having problems recording CD-Rs on this NEC burner. I can sometimes get it to start burning and then it will stop due to some error. I read on LinuxQuestions.org a post where someone indicated they also had problems burning to an external USB 2.0 DVD+/-RW burner if they tried to burn CD-Rs at speeds faster than 4x. I've been trying to burn at 24x.

Additionally, I've got cdrdao 1.1.5 installed and I'll upgrade that to 1.2.0 shortly. Here is what cdrdao tells me about my drive:

address@hidden:/home/tom# cdrdao disk-info --device 1,0,0
Cdrdao version 1.1.5 - (C) Andreas Mueller <address@hidden>
 SCSI interface library - (C) Joerg Schilling
 L-EC encoding library - (C) Heiko Eissfeldt
 Paranoia DAE library - (C) Monty

Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver tables.

Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'

1,0,0: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A     Rev: 1.04
ERROR: No driver found for '_NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A', available drivers:
cdd2600
generic-mmc
generic-mmc-raw
plextor
plextor-scan
ricoh-mp6200
sony-cdu920
sony-cdu948
taiyo-yuden
teac-cdr55
toshiba
yamaha-cdr10x
ERROR: Cannot setup device 1,0,0.
address@hidden:/home/tom# exit

So, I'm sure that's a problem for me and will probably be THE problem preventing me from burning anything to this drive with Linux.

Any ideas or am I stuck?

Peace....

Tom