gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] using the python gps module without scons install

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] using the python gps module without scons install
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 15:04:20 -0800

Yo shouldbe!

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 22:53:33 +0000
shouldbe q931 <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > I looked at the above for over half a dozen times before I
> > > realised that there was no error when the command was run in
> > > gpsd/ rather than gpsd/gps/
> >
> > Sorry, I thought the clockmaker script was clear on that.  Please
> > submit a patch to the doc if you have a way to make that clearer.
> >
> I did not have any issue building gpsd, which obviously needs scons to
> be run in the directory that gpsd has been cloned to or untarred to.

Uh, no.  I never have sscons in my gpsd source directory.  Being in
your PATH is sufficient.

> Because I had misunderstood from the python documentation what path I
> needed to provide in $PYTHONPATH for ntpsec to "build" ntploggps,

Uh, no.  PYTHONPATH is not required to "build" ntploggps.  You just
need the prerequisites in your sys.path.  Which is easy if you
installed your distro packages for the prerequisites.

> was under the misunderstanding that "something else" needed to be done
> after building gpsd, rather than as Rob pointed out, simply using the
> gpsd directory in $PYTHONPATH instead of gpsd/gps

Correct.  That is the clockmaker way.  Not the normal way.

> > Try not to confuse how you install and use gpsd with clockmaker,
> > versus the normal install and useage.
> >
> I don't see a difference between the two apart from just calling scons
> on its own and calling scons with several "configure alike" statements

Yes, you do not see the differences.  scons is NOT one of them.

Try a normal gpsd install, using the build.txt file, and youll see
the differences.

> > > is waf/python also searching for a matching
> > > directory name, or is there something else in the gpsd directory
> > > that it is using ?
> >
> > Lost me.  There is no waf/python.
> >
> Apologies, I used "waf/python"  instead of "waf and/or python"

Still lost me.  waf is a python program,  there is no "or".

> > When you run a python program in the location that clockmaker tells
> > you to, then the gps is in that directory (.), which is in sys.path.
> >
> In the clockmaker script, ./waf configure (with some additional
> options) is run in ntpsec/, not in gpsd/

Uh, no.  Look again.  A lot of "cd"ing going on.

> I'm not trying to make a "better" clockmaker script, I'm using it as
> an initial base to learn how to be able to a scripted install of gpsd
> and ntpsec running as separate services, and to have the logging for
> ntpviz installed as well

Which is to misunderstand the purpose of clockmaker.  That has led, and
will lead, to much confusion.

Do it the "clockmaker" way, or do it the normal way.  Mixing them up
is confusing you.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588