gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd issues on Ubuntu 18.04

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd issues on Ubuntu 18.04
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 13:21:57 -0700

Yo Andrew!

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 18:38:37 -0500
Andrew McKay <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm having a few issues with gpsd on Ubuntu 18.04.

We are not an Ubuntu support list.  Are you using the gpsd from the
gpsd release tar balls?  If not, what are you using.

> address@hidden:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/gpsd stop
> [....] Stopping gpsd (via systemctl): gpsd.serviceWarning: Stopping
> gpsd.service, but it can still be activated by:
>   gpsd.socket
> . ok

Without knowing how you installed gpsd it is hard to know if that is
the right command.  If you installed the Ubuntu package, then that is
not the correct useage.  You need to use systemd tools.

> The other strange thing to me is that the 2947 port is still showing
> as listening after gpsd is stopped or killed.  Using fuser is showing
> that PID 1 is the process owning this port.  So it's like gpsd failed
> to bind to the socket but for some reason systemd process is hosling
> on to it.

Yup.  You are trying to use the standalone gpsd methods to run
gpsd, but you have your gpsd installed to use systemd.

Go read up on how systemd works.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588