gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on an application
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:25:28 -0700

Yo Lisandro!

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:20:45 -0300
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:

> > If you look at base.watch() in xgps you see how easy it is to set up
> > the Qt callback (5 lines).
>
> Except gpsd currently only supports Qt4. Yes, I have seen the [bug
> report]
>
> [bug report] <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?52299>

If anyone really cared then Qt5 support could be quickly added.  Is that
all you need?

I always thought the Qt4 layer was redundant.  Mostly just an example.

> > I can't think of a reason not to do that, or to do that, but I'm
> > not a Qt guy.  But I do know the xgps way to use gpsd with Qt is
> > pretty simple and solid.
>
> Right, but they create their own main loop.

Right, Qt creates a main loop.  Use their loop, or another one.  No way
around it.  that is how computers work.  "callbacks" are just an
obfuscation of that fact.

> Now that I have read a nice amount of gpsd's code I see that there is
> currently no public code to do this,

Why do you think xgps, which is Qt, is not doing what you need?

> so my main questions are now
> pretty clearly answered.

I think you heard the wrong message.

> Adding a backend to do this would probably
> not be too complicated, I'll keep it in my ToDo list to see if I
> could hack it sometime.

All you need to do is just copy the xgps code.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588