gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] 1PPS NOW working with RPi 3 B+ and Stretch

From: Paul Theodoropoulos
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] 1PPS NOW working with RPi 3 B+ and Stretch
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 00:02:49 -0700

A quick followup on this, since it's not _directly_ germaine to gpsd, but it can be useful info.

My most reliable SD cards so far have been...Patriots! I bought individual ones more than a year ago. They are fast, overclock better than any of my other SD cards, and I've never experienced corruption (knock wood). So who knows what happened with yours - a bum batch, damaged in shipping, we'll probably never know.

I'll add that I had mentioned the Silicon Power SD cards that I'd recently bought. They have been trouble-free so far, however - the Raspi actually *underclocks* them from the default 50MHz bus down to 25Mhz! I cannot run them at standard or overclocked, at all, so needless to say, performance is poor.

I've been doing my own set of benchmarks similar to those Jeff Geerling has published -
http://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards
https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2018/raspberry-pi-microsd-card-performance-comparison-2018

And I'm finding similar results, although the Patriot cards are coming up nearly in the same cohort as the good ones he's listed.

I've sort of focused on the lesser (translation: cheaper!) brands, even knowing they generally are unlikely to perform as well (testing is still ongoing).

Don't know if the chart below will render properly to the list or not. If not, I can post elsewhere if there's interest.

Card Make/Model
Bus speed
hdparm buffered
dd write
4K random read
4k random write
Patriot LX 16gb SDHC Class 10 UHS-1
100 MHz
36.7 MB/sec
8.1 MB/s
8.06 MB/s
3.80 MB/s
Sandisk Ultra 16gb SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 A1
50 MHz
22.7 MB/sec
17.1 MB/s
8.08 MB/s
2.20 MB/s
Sandisk Ultra 16gb SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 A1
83 MHz
37.0 MB/sec
17.9 MB/s
9.38 MB/s