gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Shared memory 'flags' set?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Shared memory 'flags' set?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:58:13 -0700

Yo Michael!

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 10:49:57 -0700
Michael Lum <address@hidden> wrote:

> I changed test_gpsmm to 10,000 but I still don't see LATLON (for
> shared memory). I've attached "script" output where I ran the
> following:

I'm confused.  I have a test_gpsmm.cpp, but it builds the program
test_qgpsmm.  And that takes no argument "shared memory".  My scons
never builds a test_gpsmm.  How are you creating that target?

And the the bigger question, given the documented, and undocumented,
limitations of the shared memory interface, why would you want to use
it?

> My comment about gps_waiting() not being available for shared memory
> came from paragraph 3 of this:
> http://www.catb.org/gpsd/client-howto.html#_shared_memory_interface

Ah.  Thanks.  If we figure this out we should improve the doc.

> by default test_gpsmm is using 5,000,000 (!) for gps_waiting()

Yeah.  so?  That is a maximum, not a minimum.  Not all GPS at set to
output at 1Hz.  Zome GPS may take a while to get started.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588