gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Does GPSD support RTCM corrections via Internet?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Does GPSD support RTCM corrections via Internet?
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 11:20:29 -0700

Yo Bo!

On Thu, 3 May 2018 10:08:38 +0200
"Bo Berglund" <address@hidden> wrote:

> In Sweden there is a public position correction service run by the
> national survey authority. It is called SWEPOS and it supplies
> correction data via the Internet.

Many countries have similar services.  Some, like the South Korean
version, provide stunning accuracy.

> So what I would like to know is if GPSD supports reading corrections
> from an RTCM server in order to improve position accuracy?

Yes, gpsd can read RTCM.  But it is just decoded, not used for any
processing.  Typical use of the RTCM data is to simply upload it
directly to the GPS and let the GPS do the extra math for you.

> If so, how does one activate it?

RTFM (man gpsd):

   "gpsd can use differential-GPS corrections from a DGPS radio or over the
   net, from a ground station running a DGPSIP server or a Ntrip broadcaster
   that reports RTCM-104 data; this will shrink position errors by roughly a
   factor of four. When gpsd opens a serial device emitting RTCM-104, it
   automatically recognizes this and uses the device as a correction source
   for all connected GPSes that accept RTCM corrections (this is dependent on
   the type of the GPS; not all GPSes have the firmware capability to accept
   RTCM correction packets). See the section called “ACCURACY” and the
   section called “FILES” for discussion."

Basically, gpsd reads the data, and uploads it to a GPS for you.  Most GPS
can not handle the RTCm uploads.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588