gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Controlling the gpsd update rate

From: Deven Hickingbotham
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Controlling the gpsd update rate
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:20:25 -0800

BTW, recent reports on this list that some u-blox skip some fixes at 10Hz.

I'm still investigating this, but the reports would be consistent with your evaluation of the output files I sent you.

I searched the u-blox forum and they recommend turning off output on the interfaces you are not using and pare the remaining messages being sent to the bare minimum. This would include reducing the frequency of certain messages like satellite position.

How does gpsd handle messages being sent a various frequencies? Suppose lon/lat are sent at 10hz and satellite data every 5 seconds? Would epx and epy (which I assume are based on satellite data) be zero during the intervening 5 seconds or would they be the last calculated value?

Without the -b option, gpsd is resetting the update rate to 1hz.  I'd
like to let gpsd optimize the communication with the receiver, but I
want to maintain a 10hz update rate.  How can I do this?

Well, you can't have it both ways.  either you let gpsd do its thing, or
you force your thing.

If I allow gpsd to optimize the settings, does the optimization only occur at startup? I am trying to understand what gpsd will do if I later use gpsctl to change a setting. If gpsd only optimizes at startup, then my subsequent change would not be overridden. If it is continually optimizing, then it might override my change.

Finally, if I use the -b option, does this mean gpsctl and commands sent to the Unix domain socket will not work?

Deven