gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] parsing NMEA PASHR record

From: Roger Oberholtzer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] parsing NMEA PASHR record
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 10:31:11 +0000

Just an update on the PASHR parsing: we had no trouble doing the PASHR parsing.
That part is easy. The problem we have is that PASHR records trigger a new
report cycle. Which is not what we want. In our systems, records like GGA
arrive at 10 Hz, and PASHR at 25 Hz. This is by design. Because of this, we
have disabled PASHR parsing by gpsd and instead parse it our self via the raw
NMEA stream we get from gpsd. We could of course pass our parsing code to you,
but we would probably disable it anyway. In fact, the general way that gpsd
determines report cycles is, in our opinion, rather draconian and not really
suitable for many uses. We have backed off using gpsd parsed NMEA data (both
via JSON and shared memory) for this reason. But we are very happy with it as a
way to provide data to set the PC time (we use chrony) and to share the gps
data among numerous applications.

So, it you want the PASHR parsing code, I can send you the diffs. Many systems
will, I think, then have unexpected side effects.

Still a happy gpsd user.