gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd:ERROR: device open failed: Permission denied - ret

From: Charles Muggen
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd:ERROR: device open failed: Permission denied - retrying read-only
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 00:15:48 +0100

The stop and disable gpsd.socket comes directly from Adafruit's instructions.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps-hat-for-raspberry-pi/use-gpsd

copied here for your convenience:

Raspbian Jessie systemd service fix
Note if you're using the Raspbian Jessie or later release you'll need to
disable a systemd service that gpsd installs. This service has systemd listen
on a local socket and run gpsd when clients connect to it, however it will also
interfere with other gpsd instances that are manually run (like in this guide).
You will need to disable the gpsd systemd service by running the following
commands:
sudo systemctl stop gpsd.socket
sudo systemctl disable gpsd.socket

I also have an Uputronics GPS HAT.
https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=81
Is that a better platform to work with?
Should I just drop the Adafruit GPS HAT in the junk drawer?