gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] NMEA Minimum Set to Get Most Data

From: Joshua Quesenberry
Subject: [gpsd-users] NMEA Minimum Set to Get Most Data
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 10:11:58 -0500

Good Morning All,

I’m playing around with different NMEA messages to see what a good minimum set is.

1)      Is there a recommended set already?

It looks to me like GPGGA, GPVTG, GPGSA, and GPGSV would be fairly encompassing of all of the data shown in cgps.

One issue I’m running into is that GPSD does not appear to be using speed/track information provided by the GPVTG message, rather it only appears to be using the information in GPRMC message. I do not want to use GPRMC because it lacks information I need that’s in GPGGA.

2)      This seems like a bug in GPSD that needs to be addressed?

Also, when I send only GPGGA if I look at the GPSD Client node in ROS I see speed populated.

3)      I assume speed is being interpolated somehow when it’s GPGGA only?

Thanks,

Josh Q