gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] PPS problem with u-blox 8

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] PPS problem with u-blox 8
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 17:52:21 -0800

Yo Christian!

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 13:52:15 +0100
Christian Rossi <address@hidden> wrote:

> With GPS receiver for timing it's possible to use a fixed position to
> increase the precision. With the receiver I use it is only possible
> to use a fixed altitude.

Yea, very GPS dependent.  As a practical matter, you will not notice
any time accuracy increase on a PC with time mode.  You might, just
barely on a RasPi.

> So with cgps and a fixed altitude there is "Altitude: n/a" with the
> ublox data and a blinking altitude with the NMEA data (the altitude
> and N/A).

cgps reports what the GPS sends.  I'm guessng that in time mode your
GPS is not sending altitude.  If you send this list a dump of the raw
data your GPS is sending then it will get looked at.

> And with gegps there is no altitude and an error:

Interesting.  I've never used gegps.  It fails for me on one of my hosts,
in a different way than yours.  If you send your raw serial I'll craate
a bug for it.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588