gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Using "gpsctl -x" while gpsd is running

From: Joshua Quesenberry
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Using "gpsctl -x" while gpsd is running
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 20:33:59 -0400

Hey Gary!

Interesting... what exactly does gpsd setup when it starts? If I change a bunch
of setting on the uBlox GPS will they all be reset by gpsd?

'\x06\x08\xC8\x00\x01\x00\x01\x00' is just a UBX-CFG-RATE command to set the
rate from 1 Hz to 5 Hz, more of a trial attempt to see if I could actually
setup the GPS using gpsd provided utilities. The end goal will be to send many
commands and save them to the GPS, such that when it is powered back on the
settings remain and gpsd doesn't try to override them. Some settings that need
tweaked are require 3D fix at all time, use the highest performance setting,
don't send out NMEA strings when certain fields are missing, and perhaps
disabling GLONASS to start off with.

I guess I was thinking gpsd only acted as a passive gateway, not changing any
settings, and that it would allow for me to use it to change settings as needed.

Three features that would probably be good to have added to gpsd:
Perhaps gpsd could be modified so that its default commands aren't sent?
And maybe another option to send a list of configuration commands from
/etc/default/gpsd to be sent out on startup?
And some method for gpsctl to send commands using the gpsd connection?

Thanks,

Josh Q