gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] eps / other error fields

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] eps / other error fields
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:45:18 -0700

Yo Carl!

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 21:36:18 +0100
Carl Sutton <address@hidden> wrote:

> I seem to have everything running, but errors seem wildly off.

Unlikely.

> According to the docs the eps field is "meters/second", with a good
> connection I have values of 200+ m/s

Those are calculated using standard equations.

> Actual speed is reading at around 0.001 m/s

But you are skipping a lot of relevant facts. Like how many sats in
view, what is the sat signal strength and geometry.

> My lat/lon (according to google maps) is accurate to around 8 meters.
> Errors for lat/lon is showing at 20/100 meters...

Apples and oranges.  You can't compare a probability density with a
single mesurement.  The error estimates are for a 95% probablity over a
long time scale.  The one sigma error estimates are much smaller than
the CEP(95) ones.

If you kinda want to know where you are, then a one sigma accuracy
is good enough.  But is you are auto-driving your car in a parking
lot then even 95% probability of trading paint is not good.

> Any ideas what is going on, or am I not understanding something?

You need to run gpsprof for 24 hours, then look at that plot.  Your
idea of how accurate your GPS will seriously drop.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588